Aug 26, 2014

The Story of Jace!

Hear ye, hear ye! My baby made it here safe and sound :)  I've read so many other birth stories that are pages long that keep you on the edge of your seat with bated breath that are so intense and script-worthy! Not us: Jace's arrival was simple and quiet. Just the way we like it :)


This last pregnant photo I took of myself 29 weeks 3 days along, not knowing that later that night my water would break!


The morning of June 13 I had my weekly appointment. I was only dilated to 1.5cm so we all thought most likely would make it to my due date. That day we ate at Tucanos...what a perfect last supper haha!

That night we were watching The Tonight Show and chillaxing in bed. If you recall it was a full moon that night and I got up and looked out the window and was like "oh full moon! oogly boogly I wonder if it will put me into labor!" Five minutes after getting into bed, boom my water broke.

What's funny is I was always joking the full moon would put me into labor because the Greek god Diana is the goddess of the moon and child birth...so ironic that it actually panned out that way.

We got the rest of our stuff together and arrived at Intermountain Medical Center around midnight on June 14th. We checked in, confirmed my water did break and started the waiting game. By then my contractions weren't too bad, but uncomfortable enough that I could NOT sleep. It felt better to just stay up and do things on my phone. Here was my view of Brandon who slept a good amount-ish:



I got an epidural around 6 am, and then happened one of the funniest things of my life. Brandon fainted.

Yes, and the best part is he wasn't even watching me getting the epidural, didn't see any needle - nothing. He was kneeling down by the bed holding my hand with his head down. I jumped at the needle and then I slowly felt him fall away onto the ground. LOL! It gave me a good laugh for the rest of the day that's for sure. **Note he wasn't hurt minus a sore shoulder and small scratch on his nose**

 Boy did the anesthesiologist do a good job! I could still move my legs, everything was just heavy and tingly but I had a lot of control. I was at a 5 cm by noon time, so my nurse said it will probably be 3-5 more hours. One hour later BAM I was suddenly at a 10!

My doctor (who is uh-mazing) came in to deliver Jace. After 21 minutes of pushing (and they said I was a star pusher, boo ya) Jace entered the world at 8 lbs 4 oz. The first thing the doctor noticed was lots of blonde hair which you will see below!



I was in this photo with my  nurse and doctor but cropped myself out, because unlike all you who look like spring flowers minutes after delivery, I was kinda the opposite :P

I'm so grateful that my labor and delivery were such a good experience and that my baby made it here safely and is healthy!





We had lots of visitors and loved getting to know our baby.  (Sorry I didn't get pics of everyone who came on my phone)

Jace being held by cousin Kate and Aunt Nicole


Jace with Grandma Whitaker 


Jace with Auntie Jayne!

 Here's what I'm talking about with the thick blonde hair, and he still has it! 




We were able to go home on Monday June 16th




There have been plenty of struggles and successes, but this kid is the best.  I have a million photos of him since we've been home but here is a current fave:


Here are just a few snapshots of his nursery













So far being a mom has definitely been the hardest thing ever. I've never prayed so earnestly so much in my entire life! But now that he is smiling every time he sees you it just makes all the frustrating aspects bearable. He is an amazing baby we can't imagine life without him!









2 comments:

  1. Love this darling boy of yours! Grateful all went smoothly, minus the fainting, and congrats on being super parents already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Diana!!! I'm so happy for you guys! He is so handsome, and I love his name!!

    ReplyDelete