Today is a historic day. After probably 1,000,000 applications submitted and phone calls made, I got a JOB here in Cali! I can't believe it! I feel like they are going to call me up and say, "oops we changed our minds". Eeeeeeeek! I'm blogging first because my phone battery is dying so sorry if I don't call you w/ the news.
Today I got a phone call from a program called ACI. They are a private school noted for their test prep classes as well as basic English and Math classes. I showed up, took an English and Algebra I test and interviewed with Yvette. She gave me some materials and 5 minutes to think of a lesson plan to give to her (pretending she is a student).
I performed the mock grammar lesson and I thought I totally messed up and was terrible. (FYI I have no formal classroom teaching experience, just tutoring one-on-one). She then brought me to her office and offered me a position to teach for the summer program at $16 an hour and most likely 30 hours per week (For sure 18 but I might get another class).
I'm so happy and also ready to poop my pants I'm so nervous. I'll be teaching for 6 hours a day to students from Mandarin speaking families. Classes start MONDAY! What if I am going to be totally boring? How can I talk for that long about vocabulary, grammar and reading/writing? All you teachers out there give me your wisdom!!
They will provide the materials which is nice, but still! I can already imagine the kids looking up at me with blank faces and failing their quizzes because I can't teach them well enough!
*Deep breath...sigh* I was going to post pictures but I feel to antsy to do so, maybe tomorrow once my nerves have calmed down. I am grateful that Heavenly Father heard my prayers...I now have a new topic to talk to him about :)
Congratulations Diana! You will be a great teacher! I know how intimidating it is! I taught English/Literacy at a Residential Treatment Facility for about a year. It can be a lot of fun, but also scary! you will do great!!
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm so excited for you! You will be great!
ReplyDeleteYou need to email me and let me know what you guys are planning for the 4th of July and how many days off you'll have, etc. so we can figure out if we can come visit that weekend/week! (tonib41c@hotmail.com) Miss you!
YAY!!!! I am so happy for you! Especially after talking about how you didn't have many prospects! By the way, I am SO glad I got to see you this weekend! It was so nice!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Yay that is so exciting! I'm proud of you. Love you!
ReplyDelete